Volunteer of the Year Award
Michael Gaviña of F. Gaviña & Sons has become the first recipient of the NCA Volunteer of the Year Award. Selected by unanimous NCA Board committee vote, Gaviña received the award at the opening session of the NCA’s 102nd Annual Convention in San Francisco.
Michael Gaviña (center), NCA Chair John E. Boyle (right) and NCA President and President & CEO Robert F. Nelson
- Nominees must have worked for an NCA member company during the year in which they are nominated.
- Nominees must demonstrate exemplary volunteerism leadership and serve as a positive example to others, while advancing the mission of the association.
- A letter of nomination from an employee of an NCA member in good standing submitted to the National Coffee Association.
- A description of the nominee’s significant contributions as a volunteer must be provided.
- For nominees to be considered as award recipients at the next annual convention, all letters of nomination must be submitted (postmarked) to the NCA headquarters office by November 30th of the year prior to the date of the convention.
- Candidate may also be identified by NCA staff and submitted.
- The External – Member Relations Committee shall review nominations for the Volunteer of the Year Award.
- The actual awarding of the Volunteer of the Year Award is dependent upon a majority of Committee members voting in favor of bestowing the Volunteer of the Year Award.
Award and Award Distribution Process
- The Volunteer of the Year Award will consist of a framed certificate and a financial contribution to the charity of the award winner’s choice, and will be announced and presented at the annual NCA Convention.
Broader Association Recognition
Recipients of the Volunteer of the Year Award will be recognized:
- In the program of the Convention at which they are honored.
- In Coffee Reporter in the first issue following the award’s presentation.